Finding the right free WordPress plugins can make the difference between a very successful website and an average one. Sometimes the functionality can make or break what you’re trying to do and if you can give visitors a terrific user experience, your website will have the chance to make it big.
The problem is some plugins, while powerful and effective, cost a real premium to purchase.
Here’s a list of plugins that provide exceptional functionality at no cost!
This plugin allows you to create beautiful Click To Tweet boxes anywhere in your blog post.
Easily create tweetable content for your readers. Use pullquotes and custom messages inside the body of your blog post to highlight your content for the reader and make it simple for them to share on Twitter.
This plugin is very useful plugin for everyone using WordPress. It adds reCaptcha security to the WordPress login form, register form and comment form. This plugin could help your blog get rid of a lot of spam comments or brute-force attacks.
Nothing gets passed it if the reCaptcha doesn’t validate (until Artificial Intelligence potentially makes WordPress Captcha obsolete).
A few more notes about this plugin:
- Supports audio or image captcha types
- Can generate the reCaptcha image / audio type in a number of predefined languages
- Adds reCaptcha protection to the WordPress login form
- Adds reCaptcha protection to the WordPress register form
- Adds reCaptcha protection to the WordPress comment form
- Adds reCaptcha protection to the WordPress recover password form
The Clef mobile app provides password-less two-factor authentication that is highly secure and enjoyable to use.
Some additional login features:
- No passwords: log in securely with the Clef wave, and enjoy two-factor protection without one-time codes.
- No extra devices: use your smartphone instead of a “third device” such as a USB drive or security key.
- Single sign on/off: Scan the Clef Wave once, then enjoy one-click sign ins for all subsequent sites. Also, sign out from all your sites with one-click any time, or set the timer to log you out automatically when you’re done working.
Duplicator gives WordPress administrators the ability to migrate, copy or clone a site from one location to another. The plugin also serves as a simple backup utility.
Duplicator supports both serialized and base64 serialized string replacement. If you need to move WordPress or backup WordPress this plugin can help simplify the process.
Duplicator enables you to:
- Move a site between domains or hosts
- Pull down a live site to localhost for development
- Manually back up a site
- Duplicate a live site to a staging area or vice versa
- Bundle up an entire WordPress site for easy reuse or distribution
Shortcodes Ultimate is WordPress plugin that provides mega pack of shortcodes. This is really premium plugin that you can get absolutely for free!
No need to access source code to make the changes you want.
With this plugin you can easily create tabs, buttons, lightboxes, different sliders, responsive videos and much, much more. Turn your free theme to premium in just a few clicks. Using Shortcodes Ultimate you can quickly and easily retrieve premium themes features and display it on your site without editing source code.
Redirection is a WordPress plugin to manage 301 redirections and keep track of 404 errors without requiring knowledge of Apache .htaccess files.
Redirection is a WordPress plugin to manage 301 redirections, keep track of 404 errors, and generally tidy up any loose ends your site may have. This is particularly useful if you are migrating pages from an old website, or are changing the directory of your WordPress installation.
And it’s 100% free!
Reduce image file sizes, improve performance and boost your SEO using the free WPMU DEV WordPress Smush API.
WP Smush meticulously scans every image you upload – or have already added to your site – cuts all the unnecessary data and scales it for you before adding it to your media library.
This plugin will check your posts, comments and other content for broken links and missing images, and notify you if any are found.
- Monitors links in your posts, pages, comments, the blogroll, and custom fields (optional).
- Detects links that don’t work, missing images and redirects.
- Notifies you either via the Dashboard or by email.
- Makes broken links display differently in posts (optional).
- Prevents search engines from following broken links (optional).
- You can search and filter links by URL, anchor text and so on.
- Links can be edited directly from the plugin’s page, without manually updating each post.
- Highly configurable.
9. Widget Logic
This plugin gives every widget an extra control field called “Widget logic” that lets you control the pages that the widget will appear on.
Yet Another Related Posts Plugin (YARPP) displays pages, posts, and custom post types related to the current entry, introducing your readers to other relevant content on your site.
- Thumbnail or list view of related content.
- Related posts, pages, and custom post types.
- Templating: The YARPP templating system gives you advanced control of how your results are displayed.
- An advanced and versatile algorithm: Using a customizable algorithm considering post titles, content, tags, categories, and custom taxonomies, YARPP finds related content from across your site. Learn More.
- Related posts in feeds: Display related posts in RSS feeds with custom display options.
Adds google fonts to any theme without coding and integrates with the WordPress Customizer automatically for a realtime live preview.
12. Login LockDown
Login LockDown records the IP address and timestamp of every failed login attempt. If more than a certain number of attempts are detected within a short period of time from the same IP range, then the login function is disabled for all requests from that range.
This helps to prevent brute force password discovery. Currently the plugin defaults to a 1 hour lock out of an IP block after 3 failed login attempts within 5 minutes. This can be modified via the Options panel. Administrators can release locked out IP ranges manually from the panel.
This is by far the best and easiest to use WordPress social media share plugin. It’s a WordPress share plugin with custom icons built-in.
- Social networks available: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIN, Reddit, Pinterest, Google Plus & Email
- Turn on/off each of them, individually.
- Possibility of re-arranging icon position on the share bar.
- Great UI with intuitive & simple options.
- Built for the regular user.
- Four different Skins.
- The default, square style.
- The more futuristic approach, shift style.
- The friendly approach, pill (rounded corners) style.
- The eye-catching approach, leaf style (like a leaf in the wind).
- Display social icons: before content, after content or both.
- Display social icons on: posts or pages.
- They come in 3 different sizes: large, medium & small.
- SVG icons used for perfectly crisp rendering on all devices.
- Only 2 HTTP request on the front-end to render the social sharing icons.
- Amazing loading speed because it only uses 2 files.
Free and easy way to double your email subscribers. And Sharing tools to double your traffic from Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest & more.
Most blogs are designed for hit-and-run readers. People find your blog, read your article, and leave. Wouldn’t it be nice if some of those people subscribe or share your amazing post?
SumoMe provides free tools you need to grow your WordPress site. This plugin will make it easy for your readers to join your email list, share your articles and optimize with analytics.
Exit-intent WordPress popups are the best way to engage visitors leaving your website. Show offers, social buttons, email signup forms or customize it as you like.
Show a high converting popup on your website based on your settings – either when a user is leaving your website, after a specified time duration, after the visitor scrolls, or when the visitor reaches the bottom of the page.
If you are looking to become a local business authority, the WordPress Business Directory plugin by CreativeMinds is the one for you. This business directory plugin gives you the ability to create an embeddable professional directory for your WordPress site.